We started the day much later than we should have, just as we had on every other day of our road trip. We woke up around 9 am in Victor, Idaho, after a day spent exploring what we could of the Grand Teton National Park in the middle of November.

We left Victor and headed west. Within 30 minutes we were at a small state park that follows the Snake River in Swan Valley. We were all curious about what was around, so we started to explore. After a few minutes we came up upon an overlook of the valley and the Snake River.

We continued our day west and ended up getting a late lunch in Arco. I did not have service, and we ended up going an hour north to Chilly. This was a mistake, but I’m happy we did it. Right before I realized we were not where we were supposed to be I hopped out of the car, ran across the road, put my camera through an old barb wire fence, and watched the sun set behind the mountains. Then it got real chilly, and I had to go.

We turned around and headed back through Arco and then west on our way to Shoshone Falls State Park. We arrived at the park around 10:30 pm.  We took our photos, stared at the sky a bit, got cold and headed back to Twin Falls to figure out what would be next.  

While sitting at a gas station in the middle of Twin Falls at about 11 o’clock at night, we decided the only logical thing to do would be to head north to Sawtooth National Forest and try to get out to Stanley Lake for some stars and mountains.

We made it to the road that leads to Stanley Lake. It had at least 3 to 4 inches of fresh snow on it. It's only an “8-minute drive” my Google maps told me. So we went for it. After 30 minutes of fishtailing and 5 mph drifts sliding down the road, we got to a gate and much deeper snow. It was at this point that we decided to turn around.  

I drove about another 8 miles until I had to pull over and sleep. It was about 3 am when we parked on the side of the road and about 8 below. I hopped out to check it out, and across the road I saw this mountain being lit by the moon. I took a few shots and called it a day. 

Geoffrey Lamaze